Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Sailboat ride

Well, I went for my first sail boat ride. I should actually clarify that and say that I participated in
my first sail boat ride. We went to Culver, IN at the end of August and met up with a bunch of J's buddies from a Naval Band Camp. They were having a reunion. Well, J said that he would take me out sailing one day when we were
there because he loved to sail and hadn't done it since camp (16 years ago). I thought how romantic. So we got the life jackets, got the sails, got the boat and you would think that off we would go. Not so fast. The first boat had something wrong with it, so while J and one of the boat dock attendants went to get whatever it was to fix it, I proceeded to watch a boat, just like ours, capsize. Yes, CAPSIZE!! This did not make me feel good, after all it has been 16 years since my dear J has done this. So he comes back and we go to another boat, it also has a problem so we can't use it. I am not feeling confident at this point. We finally get our boat and we are off. Let me just say that I couldn't just sit there and enjoy the ride, oh no. I had to participate. I was in charge of the jib (this is the front sail that is taken down in this photo). I had no idea what to do and again my dear husband just says grab the ropes and do what I tell you. You would think that would be easy, except that there are about a dozen ropes on this thing. So after I say, "we are not pulling anchor until you tell me what I am supposed to do." My sweet J, chuckles and says, "we will be fine" and then proceeds to show me what ropes to be in charge of. So out of the boat dock we go. I continually am looking to see how far we are from land and the dock, thinking, if we capsize, I have my life jacket and I can make it to the dock. We proceed to make a few turns and I did pretty good, according to J, boosted my confidence. UNTIL...we make a turn and the wind catches the sail, the boat tips a little more than I like and I freak out. I proceeded to ask J over and over, are you done yet, because I am. He laughed and said that he was almost ready to go back in. So after about 45minutes on the sail boat, we were back in the dock and I was kissing the dock happy that we didn't collapse. I can honestly say that my next trip sailing will be with two men doing the sailing and me just sitting and enjoying the scenery. I don't think I am ready for the ocean anytime soon.

No comments: